Thursday, August 5, 2010

Calling the Justice League of America???? or maybe Super Friends?????

I assume that student's socio-economic status influences their access to technology in their lives. My assumption is challenged in the 2008 article "Who are Today's Learners?" by Christine Greenhow. The article examines students knowledge and use of technology in and outside of school. The article looks at "predominately rural low-income students who scored at or above grade level on standardized math and reading test." These students reported general competency in various forms of technology.

The article identifies ways student’s access technology outside school as "digital music, Web-based gaming, cell phones, and social computing tools such as social network sites." Will integrating these kinds of technologies be unfair to some of the students who lack access? Yes. Are there ways I can level the playing field and promote social justice for my students? No. Does that mean technology should be excluded from my classroom? No.

So, what is left for me to do? Understand and accept that all students experience social oppression and domination. No matter how much effort I put into addressing the "digital divide" as suggested by Swain & Edyburn (2007), it will continue.

The power I have as a teacher resides in recognizing the ways education can work to oppress my students. The mechanisms of student oppression matter less then recognizing the oppression (De Lissovoy, 2010). The actions I take in my classroom to increase student's access to technology will be tempered with my belief that my actions no matter how seemingly harmless can work to marginalize, exploit, and normalize oppression in the lives of my students.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that there is a slight sense of hopelessness when it comes to integrating technology in the classroom. Often there are limitations to students due to socio-economic backgrounds. Though we cannot level the playing field for all students as teacher it is our honor to try. We all want to see the world become a more just and fair place, and as teachers we are in a position to catalyze the process of change. The world is not fair, but all the really good teachers I remember worked hard to marginalize injustice. These teachers met students where they were at, intellectually, emotionally, and economically.
    I don't think it is enough to simply recognize the mechanisms of student oppression; soon we will be given the opportunity to influence students in both positive and practical ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MK!

    Even though students have varying access to technology, I still feel like we can point the ones with limited access into the direction of free access (ie: boys & girls clubs, public library, etc) But I agree, it does seem like a daunting process!

    ReplyDelete